Monday, January 3, 2011

New Options (w: 175.4)

I have a weird confession to make, I've been thinking a lot recently about joining the Marines.
I know, wtf right? Maybe it's just a phase, but recently I've not been able to get the idea out of my head. It seems so noble, so powerful, so...important. If you had asked me a month ago, hell even a week ago if I EVER thought I would consider a military life, my answer would be HELL NO. But the more I simmer with the idea the more it seems like a viable option...I would feel proud of myself and I would be doing something in which I could take pride. This is screwing with my head a little bit, I don't know if I should seriously talk to anyone about it yet because I don't know if its something I'm looking at with rose colored glasses. Women make up a small percentage of the marines (around 6 or 7%). They have been known to be treated poorly...be harassed, mocked, and thought of as less then their male counter parts. I don't know if I could handle that...I'm sensitive. But is weakness a reason not to try?

My goal has then been revised...my new years resolutions are a little wacky...
the first is to get to a weight of 141, the highest acceptable amount for my height according to the chart that the Marines use. And then after that...look at training and get ready to maybe talk to a recruiter. This feels like a dream, I sort of can't even believe I'm suggesting this.

Happily though it adds a concreteness to my goals. Deadlines with real reasons. I want to lose the weight, so I will have the option...of (gosh) being a marine...

2 comments:

Elle said...

If that's something that's on your heart, I'd say go for it and talk to someone. After hearing the pros and cons, you can make a final decision.

There's a weight requirement for that stuff ? I didn't even know that ! Well, hey, let it motivate you :)

Joy said...

Joining the military could be a WONDERFUL option for you. I served in the military (Army) for 4 years when I turned 18 and although I had to navigate a few potholes in the road while I was in, it was the best decision I ever made. As a woman, I do think there are a lot of things you should contemplate before joining and the recruiter is the last person to consult with as a large majority of them will say anything to get you to join. Sorry, but that's the ugly truth. Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have or if you would like some of my thoughts on it (from a female perspective), I would be more than happy to talk to you. My email is pizzacakespies @ yahoo dot com (sorry, had to format it all crazy so spammers don't find me, lol).